Thursday, December 29, 2011

Old Boys (老男孩)

Heard the following song in radio, and I must have listened to it at least a hundred times already:



Its actually the theme song of an internet movie of the same name that has gone viral in China:



The movie is mainly about a couple of middle age men who took part in a singing contest to fulfill their dreams when they were young. They composed the theme song for the finals, and the song brought back memories of the days when they were young, not only for themselves but also for those who were watching the contest on tv. More about this song and movie can be found in Baidu (百度百科): http://baike.baidu.com/view/238595.htm


Well I did watch the movie and it did not touch me as much as the song does. I think mainly it is because the movie is based in China, and I was unable to appreciate some of  the jokes and subject matter. But according to the Baidu article, the movie and song have gone viral in China with over 3 million hits (should be more at the time of this writing). It has served as a collective memory for those who have grown up in China in the 70s to 80s. But I do like the ending part when the theme song was sung. As the song was being sung, it started showing people in different walks of life who were apparently reminded of the times when they were young. There was a hawker, a office worker who was apparently doing OT and eating cup a noodle for dinner, a man with a quarrelsome wife, and so on. Even if you do not like the movie, it is still worth watching this last part..
 

Though I was not so touched by the movie, I lyrics of the song did stir up some feelings in me.
It sets me thinking about what were my dreams when I was young and where am I now. Like a lot of people of my generation, we are at the point of our lives in which we are so overwhelmed with our work and providing for the family, that we hardly talk about dreams anymore. I do hope that the song and movie can help to stir up something in some people to continue to pursue their dreams, to be as "crazy" as the 2 men in the movie.

1 comment: